Friday, April 18, 2008

Going green or spending green?


There has been an explosion of organic, "going green" items available for those who are environmentally conscious and also on the richer side. Presently there is now a entire page every month in multiple magazines on fashion items for the 'going green' gals in the world. If you happen to look at the prices of some of these, well most of them, they are outrageous! I was reading InStyle last night and on their green page they had a bracelet in honor of "Save the Earth" day on April 22nd. See below and notice the price tag:

Save the Planet BraceletBuy a handcrafted Pono by Joan Goodman Save the Planet bangle made from recovered horn and 10 percent of proceeds will go to the Climate Project, which raises awareness about environmental change. BUY ONLINE NOW Honey bracelet, $200; at bloomingdales.com">bloomingdales.com

Two hundred dollars is more than my CAR payment!! Not only that, I can't help but think how many TREES one could plant for $200. Certainly if your really care about the environment you would put your money towards saving it, instead of buying a bracelet where only a measly 10% goes towards some bogus organization? You have to wonder where those people's priorities (and trust funds) are coming from. Because I would bet that the same people who are probably buying these bracelets drive expensive polluting cars, etc.

Call me a rebel but I think I'll just save my green and live a healthy lifestyle to the best of my ability than shell out my green for a bracelet telling people to "Save the Planet". Remember, paper, not plastic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

But its so fashionable, you can't wear trees!

yay for bracelets from dead animal body parts!