Monday, April 21, 2008

For the Love of Cheese!

**Disclaimer: This blog is dedicated to my love of dairy (and it's very apparent love of my bottom half).


I am a self-proclaimed Cheese Whore. There, I said it. Call me cheesy, but I will put it on the line for a slice (or chunk) of that fabulous blend of heaven and mold. So how does one properly categorize themselves as a "Lover of Cheese"? With this question in mind, I went to Google to see if there really is a proper name for people like me and came up with some surprising results. There are entire websites and cultures devoted to cheese! With over 3,000 varieties of cheese, I feel whey out of my league. ;) They have cheese vacation tours (this immediately went on my life list), cheese journals, cookbooks devoted to entirely to recipes with cheese, cheese websites, cheese of the month clubs (ahem, Christmas is only 8 months away), even cheese politics! But back to the topic of the proper title for a cheese lover. Among my fellow cheese comrades there are a few different titles:

-Cheeseheads
-Cheese-o-phile
-Artisians
-Cheese Pimp
-Pizza Hut cheese lovers
-Formage Ambassador
-Curds & Whey (for cheese lover duos)
-Fleur Cheese
-Cheese Monger
-Kraft Philly
-Cheese Doodle
-Tai Cheese
-Cheese Weasel

BUT, if you want to know the proper title of one who likes to believe that the moon is really made of their favorite food, it's Turophile. Merriam Webster Dictionary defines it as: "A person who fancies cheese." Turo is derived from tyro, that's Greek for cheese, and -phile means "lover of." Turophile?? I just feel like someone who just got sentenced to 30 to life! Cheese Whore evokes a much cleaner perception, I think. Anything with 'phile' on the end of it does not conjure up good images. And sidenote, if phile just means lover of, then why do pediphiles get such a bad rap? What if it's just someone who's a lover of pedicures (aka pedi's)? K, nevermind, just gona stop there and wrap this up. I would like to close by showing you all what is the premier collectors item of turophiles (shiver) everywhere, the ultimate cheese board, if you will: a formage end table. Nice dark wood finish, yes, I think it will go very nicely with my espresso wine tower, kinda of a Wine and Cheese furniture combo...I like it.



No comments: