Thursday, April 17, 2008

Dress to Impress


The other day I was explaining to my boyfriend that women dress for women...not men. This came up when we unexpectedly decided to drop by a place where I knew I might be seen by my fellow fashionistas and I said "But I look like a bum! I'm not dressed!" to which he answered "No you don't babe, you look fine to me" After explaining to him the reason behind these comments he immediately understood this having seen me call up my girlfriends on numerous occasions to ask "So what are you wearing to this thing tonight?" and get their opinion.


In New York, I worked in the finance industry with an office full of men, none of whom I cared to impress. I wasn't single and my boyfriend lived in Florida. There wasn't very many women, and there was definitely a shortfall of those who would know the difference between a cute outfit and a burlap sack (with the exception of about 3) so rarely did put in that extra effort. Now, here in Jacksonville, I work in an office full of women, pretty much all of whom have a sense of fashion. My boyfriend still doesn't live in the same city (although he will in 3 weeks), but now, I feel more purpose for suffering through a pair of fabulous (albeit painful) pair of shoes just because I know they make my outfit, and my fellow ladies will appreciate them. Yes there are days when I just don't feel like in spite of my gorgeous audience and I'll trade the contacts for the glasses, but I try not to do this too often.


Yes, I will concur that our peripheral audience is the opposite sex but lets be honest ladies, when you put the amount time and effort we do into the composition of an outfit, your hoping for your fellow female comrades to squeal in appreciation of that time and effort, "Your outfit is SOOO cute!" While this may seem shallow to some, to most of our gender population this will be the highlight of their day. Just like one would comment on the composition of a piece of art, so is the composition of an outfit. And a every women is an artist in some form of that respect, using herself as the canvas. Call me vain, but the high that I get from a great shoe sale and the compliment that follows from one of my girlfriends or co-workers, is what puts a smile on my face not a random guy saying "Daaaamn girl, you fine!" Although, I do love it when MY guy, greets me with a "Hi pretty!" every now and then ;)

2 comments:

Angela said...

So very true. Dustin has come to grips with the fact that I like to dress well for my girlfriends, so he has gotten into the habit of asking me, "Did everyone like your outfit, today?" I love to tell him how many times I was complimented and who said what exactly. It does seem vain, but we're girls, and that's just how we work! :)

Anonymous said...

OMG I know girl! Its the same for guys, just the other day I wore these tight dockers hoping that Larry and Tom would notice. Guess what, they did! Tom said my ass looked great in them and then he patted me on the thigh. He then asked me out for dinner in Chelsea, which I found a bit odd, do you think Tom is gay?

I wonder....hope not cause I like chicks! I just don't dress for them :-)